Introduction

Welcome to New Zealand Rail 120, Lewis Holden's blog on modelling railways in New Zealand. I'm now modelling in 1:87 (HOn3.5). For NZR plans see the Plans page, or the NZ120 Facebook group.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

ZBP Swap Body "Pulpliner" IV

A few pics of this weekend's work on the ZBP wagon. So far I've attached the #D printed ends to the deck of the UK wagon I'm using (which as you can see has been stripped back and primed in grey).

The 3D prints look the part, getting them into the right place proved to be a bit hard.

An overall pic of the wagon.
Close up of one end.

Friday, July 26, 2013

ZH class in 1:64

Pete of KiwiTrains has released a NZ64 version of the ZH class wagon:
The ZH first appeared in 1995, right at the tail-end of the New Zealand Rail period which I model. The class are actually rebuilt 1970s ZA wagons, but with large plug doors and more generous payloads.

ZH 82 was shipped to Australia for AusRail '95, and had a one-off "New Zealand Rail" branded livery.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

ZBP in the flesh

New ZBP wagon parts arrived in the mail today, so I thought it would be appropriate to post this:


DCs 4219 and 4231 on 19 January 1992 with the first ZBP, near Matamata.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

DXR 8007 part II

Harsh close up...
Drilled all the required holes on DXR 8007 for the handrails, grabs and brake hoses. Turned out to be much harder than drilling into whitemetal as I'm used to - basically the plastic melts as it heats up, and drilling tends to create a fair bit of heat.

The plastic that comes out on the drill bit also melts onto the bit - so you've got to constantly clear the plastic off the bit.

After all the holes were drilled (including two 3mm ones in the front for ditch lights, if you look carefully at the pic above you'll see them) it was time to start adding the handrails. I tackled the front handrails first (as they're the hardest of course...) and you can see the results above. Next will be the running-board handrails as well as the top long hood ones, then finally the back end.

I've used Tamiya filler to close up the holes, which are marginally too big. The next issue may be that I'll run out of 0.5mm wire... this may require a trip to the art supplies store tomorrow.

Monday, July 1, 2013

DXR 8007 part I

As I mentioned a while back, I brought an Athearn FP45 chassis with the intention of marrying it with one of Peter's DXR shells off Shapeways.

Here's the result:

Fresh from the printers.

Please ignore the upside down ZP...
The chassis looks like it will fit snugly, but the fuel tank needs to be modified.

From here, the process is:

  1. Clean the shell (most people seem to dip their models in lukewarm water)
  2. Dry it off, removing the powdery crap
  3. Prime the shell
  4. Drill holes for handgrabs, handrails, side ladder, horn (mounted at the top of the cab in this version), ditch lights and air hoses;
  5. Fabricate all the above (I'm going to use a horn from a DX I salvaged for parts, I might create a airhose in Shapeways);
  6. Add all the above parts
  7. Undercoat in grey
  8. Mask and spray NZ Rail yellow on cab, running boards and long hood end
  9. Mask and spray NZ Rail blue
  10. Add directional lighting circuit (stolen from DFT 7008 when I converted it to DCC) to LEDs (the holes are slightly too small for 3mm LEDs from the looks of it)
  11. Decal shell (I've got some Tranz Rail decals from Car & Wagon Graphics)
  12. Add glazing
  13. Have a beer.
For the chassis, I need to:
  1. Grind down fuel tank to match the DXR in length
  2. Disassemble bogies
  3. Isolate motor from chassis (to make DCC conversion in future easier - also add in connecting wire)
  4. Connect to the lighting circuit (mentioned above)
  5. Paint bogie frames
  6. Re-assemble bogies, add to the shell
  7. Have a beer.
Righto... lots to get on with!